After announcing the spread of (Scabies) disease among the schools of the city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia, the Saudi Food and Drug Authority published some warnings on the matter.
The authority explained that scabies is a very contagious disease that affects humans as a result of a person’s exposure to a group of parasites called mites, which live inside the layers of the skin.
The disease is transmitted from an infected person to a healthy person through direct skin contact or due to the sharing of clothing and bedding.
It is worth noting that scabies disease affects all people of all age groups without exception.
Contrary to what is prevalent, scabies also affects those who keep themselves well.
In turn, the authority stressed the need to know the symptoms of scabies in order to seek medical help if they appear, which are:
- Intense itching that intensifies at night
- Forms streaks under the skin
- Sores as a result of constant itching, which are prone to infection
- In severe cases, thick scales may appear on the skin.
The authority stated that the methods of prevention and treatment of scabies include the following:
- Washing clothes and cleaning the house
- Use of drugs designed to kill the mite parasite
- Focus on the places you may forget on the skin, such as between the fingers and different folds
- Put the medicine on the body during the night hours and wash it off in the morning
- Make sure to use the medicine on clean, dry skin.