The Saudi Food and Drug Authority published a clarification on its official account on the social networking site Twitter, on the topic of eating and developing cancer.
The authority indicated that the widespread information that states that instant noodles cause infection because it contains a substance called (E-621), is false and has no evidence of health.
She added that monosodium glutamate, symbolized by (E-621), is one of the food additives allowed to be used in accordance with local and international legislation.
This substance is used as a flavor enhancer in foods, and it has not been proven by scientific evidence so far that it is linked to cancer.
Disadvantages of instant noodles
On the other hand, there are some harms associated with eating instant noodles, the most important of which are:
- They contain a high percentage of fat, calories and sodium, in addition to artificial colors and preservatives.
- The presence of propylene glycol, which aims to preserve moisture in the instant noodles, which scientific research has shown may cause kidney damage.
- Eating instant noodles can cause weight gain.
- If instant noodles are eaten regularly, it may be associated with a higher risk of infection.
- Their intake may contribute to the result of the high sodium content.